Red Seal Notary



We have provided to many American and non-American citizens notary services for USA documents requiring notary witnessing.

You need to be prudent as many American States have particular specifications, such as further advancing the notary process with Apostille Certificates which authenticate/verify the notary’s seal and signature on the notarised document.


Yes, there is only one USA authority capable of providing USA notary functions in Sydney and that is the staff at the USA Consulate General.

The USA Embassy in Sydney (and its Australian capital city Consulates) is, strictly speaking, operating on USA soil.

With this exception, only Australian Public Notaries are qualified in Australia to undertake notary functions for USA documents in Sydney and elsewhere.


ADDRESS of U.S.A. Consulate General, Sydney:

Level 10, MLC Centre, 19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000


The USA Consulate in Sydney works by appointment only.


We must relay to you the feedback we have heard back from our clients and that is that early or convenient appointments with the USA Consulate are hard to get and is a very time consuming experience when get inside the Consulate’s doors. Nevertheless, you can check out its service. If you cannot get an appointment with the USA Consulate, we are competent and available to step into its shoes.

We are open at our Elizabeth Street office Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 10.30 am sharp and an appointment is not necessary, but telephone first to ensure our notary is not out of office on other duties.

In the USA, notaries are appointed to practice by individual State governments to act as impartial witnesses to the signing of important documents.

The most common documents which USA notaries witness are acknowledgements or oaths. The range of documents which we typically see from our clients with USA documents to be notarised in Sydney are:

  • Quit claim deeds
  • Warranty deeds
  • Affidavits,
  • Powers of Attorney, including durable Powers of Attorney
  • Letters of authorization and Letters of consent
  • Documents in relation to property transfers and mortgages
  • Issuance of a passport to a minor


Usually, documents for the USA only require notarisation.

However, many Federal authorities and most American States in respect of land and trust documents require in addition to notary witnessing, an Apostille Certificate authenticating/verifying the seal and signature of the Australian notary pursuant to the Hague Convention, which both Australia and USA are members.

As always, if you do not know whether or not you require an Apostille Certificate, we recommend you refer back to the person or organisation with whom you are dealing with in the USA for clarification.

If you do require an Apostille Certificate, find out specifically which documents require the Apostille, as this may save you money on costs.

To obtain an Apostille Certificate, click on this link…

Visit other Firstlaw Promotion websites...